A customer emailed me seeing if I would repair his Gottlieb Fire Queen pinball machine. I have repaired a few Gottlieb machines (2001, Home Run, Miss-O) now and have a love/hate relationship with them. He stated the following problems:
1. both locks. had to drill out the front lock and then the key inside didn’t open the back
2 – the right flipper sticks sometimes a simple tap releases it
3 – two thumpers the first one goes down when hit and sticks till the power is turned off, that coil is black. the other has no action
4 – all of the rubbers are hard and cracked.
5 – No scoring the player switch in the head goes around at start up but then wont move.
6 – right coin slot doesnt work
Fixes from Above
- New locks replaced and keyed the same.
- Cleaned and replace coil sleeve. This didn’t fix the problem, ended up replacing plunger.
- Both problems were fixed by cleaning the B relay. The burnt looking relay worked fine.
- Cleaned, vacuumed, and waxed the playfield along with new rubbers and lights.
- M and N relay locked on after scoring. The score reels would not advance and found the player unit was off one position.
- Adjust and clean switch on the coin door.
- Drop targets/sequence bank not resetting. The Jones plug by the transformer needed plugged in.
- Sticky bonus unit and off one position on the rivets. I cleaned and adjusted the unit and now moves smoothly.
- Bonus lights not working and special lights constantly on. Cleaning the bulbs/sockets and had a short on the bonus unit wipers.
- Match unit lights not working. Clean and re-lubed the FS relay. This brought all the lights back for the match feature.
- 1-5 roll-overs not lighting bonus lamps. The sequence bank relays needed cleaned. Doing this brought all the lights back.
- Score reels sticking on reset. I rebuilt all 8 score reels and adjusted the score reel switches.
- Player unit sticking. Player unit rebuilt, one cam in the incorrect position along with being misaligned on the rivets.
- Ball would not kick-out correctly on the start of a ball. Replaced the armature as the weld came undone on the mech.
At first glance, there didn’t seem to be much wrong with Fire Queen, but took quite a bit of time to repair this Gottlieb classic. Intermittent problems, stepper units in wrong position, along with some of the mechs being borderline on working/replacing proved to be challenges on this game.
I will say I fell in love with this game. The gameplay along with the artwork are dynamite. I will have to keep my eyes open for one down the road.