I have a simple toolbox that I like to carry to any job. I know this list isn’t exhaustive, but has some of the basics tools for most repairs. Depending on the job, I can bring along additional tools that make it job-specific. The tools in my toolbox are usually kept there and not my “best” tool. For the most part, these are things that I have found inexpensively and not afraid to lose.
- Rope – Never know when this comes in handy. I have used it to help tie down arcades along with securing the head of a pinball machine.
- Solder/Soldering iron/Desoldering tool/Desoldering braid – If I know I am going to do board work, I will bring along a better set. However, I like having a set in the tools box for loose wires and other odds and ends.
- DMM – This tool is a must, and I have a basic one in my toolbox. I use continuity probably the most on this tool.
- Circuit Breakers – Instead of carrying a whole tool box of fuses, this work great. You can purchase a set in the store if you need any.
- Flashlight – Seems like everything I work on is in a dark corner. A light of some sort is always needed.
- Extension cord/Surge Protector – Helps with short cords along with the need to plug in multiple devices.
- Nut Drivers – have in a variety of sizes. I find the 1/4″ and 3/8″ are used in quite a bit.
- Alligator clips – Used for discharging a monitor or helping troubleshoot pinballs.
- Various wires – A good variety of sizes help with loose wires or adding connectors.
- Connectors – Just like the wiring above, an assortment of connectors is nice to have on hand.
- Wire Stripper/Crimper – Need a tool to strip wires and add the connectors.
- Mini Pliers/Clippers – A selection of tools to cut and bend wires and parts.
- Screwdrivers – I like the 6-in-1 screwdriver that has phillips, flathead, 1/4″, and 3/8″ nut drivers. I also have a collection of smaller screwdrivers.
- Files/Flex stones/sand paper/Switch adjuster – Helps with cleaning and adjusting contacts along with any other odd job.
- Zip Ties – I have used these for various jobs (amazing how well these can hold up) along with bundling up a wire harness.
- Button Wrench– Sometimes the buttons are very difficult to remove. These tool helps tremendously.
- Torx/Hex/Allan Set – This tool helps when encountering different fasteners that a normal screwdriver can’t remove.
- Rachet Straps – I keep about 4 sets in my pick up at any given time. Great for securing games.
- Dog Bone Wrench – Another tool I keep in my pickup. I use this mostly to remove the head and legs bolts from pinball machines.
What do you think of the list? Did I miss anything? Feel free to comment below.