I wanted to provide a quick guide on disassembling a pop bumper and replacing any parts that are broken. When the pop bumper is out the of the machine make sure you inspect all parts for any cracks or damage. I had two problems when I took my pop bumper apart. The base was cracked along with a missing spring. This caused the ring to stick and could have shorted out the coil.
Steps to rebuilding pop bumpers:
- Unscrew 2 nuts from the ring
- Unscrew 3 nuts that hold the coil bracket
- Desolder the two wires that are connected the the pop bumper light.
- Remove the 2 screws from the pop bumper cap.
- Remove the light bulb along with the light socket.
- Remove 2 screws that hold the base of the pop bumper.
- Remove the body, skirt, spring, and base.
- Now is a great time to inspect (and clean) everything including the spoon, contacts, and yoke. To reassemble the pop bumper, you just need to follow the steps in reverse-order.